Monday, May 6, 2013

Pretty in Pink



Collage by Emma D.

  So recently I have made the decision to dye my hair pink. Why, you may ask? Pink is the ultimate feminist smack in the face to those in my school who treat both me and me female peers unequally. If that didn't back sense, basically my group of friends dyes their hair and dresses however they like, and boys don't really seem to like that. Hell, the entire school doesn't seem to like it. People tell me they quote-on-quote "like my hair" or "think my dress is pretty" but I can really tell they want to burn it at the stake. However, I don't mind this much, seeing as I'm representing much more than a hair color by how I dress, but also a group of feminist, liberal ideas that I feel strongly for.
Rolling Stones, Andy Warhol ("Your fifteen minutes are up!") and Union Jack pins, all from Newbury Comics.
Sporting the pink locks and vintage babydoll dress (It's actually an XL T-shirt!) from the 60's.
Mixing iParty's 50-esque glasses with a 60's dress? Win.

  I kept the underneath of my hair black just in case people really did feel like an all-pink head was too offensive (I don't know why the hell they'd be offended, but some people are, so..) and that a somewhat-natural color to pair up with it might be better. I know plenty of people with pink hair (mainly from the internet, but ya know) and plenty with unnatural hair colors in general, so why should people be so offended by the pink?
Kailey from Mermaidens

Marianne from Esme and the Laneway
  I was definitely not trying to be a so-called Manic Pixie Dream Girl (a name given to the generic, quirky, Zooey Deschannel-esque characters in indie romantic comedy films) by dying my hair a fun color; I was simply dying my hair a fun color for the hell of it. Even now as I type this in homeroom, I can feel the judgmental glares of my peers over the fluorescent mop of hair atop my head. But why does this bother me so much..?... I'm not all that sure myself. I've tried to teach myself about the true meanings of feminism and that all girls are equal (well, everyone is equal, to be exact) but no one besides myself seems to get it. I haven't met a single feminist in real life besides myself so far and sometimes I feel like the internet's feminist ways are eating me alive.

Illustration by Ana
  I'm so confused at why people don't treat everyone else equally by this point in time. It's 2013, and it's time things start to change. I'm currently writing an essay in my English class on why gay marriage should be legal, and I have a feeling that the reasons why gay marriage should be tolerated can also apply to why women should be treated equally, too. I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting or rambling but I feel very strongly for both feminism and LGBTQ rights and I feel like now is the opportunity to take a stand. So join me, with my pink hair, and treat everyone equally!

Today's Playlist:

  1. "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by The Kinks
  2. "Undone (The Sweater Song)" by Weezer
  3. "Beast of Burden" by the Rolling Stones
  4. "Heroin" by The Velvet Underground
  5. "Andy Warhol" by David Bowie
  6. "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" by John Lennon
  7. "Sweet City Woman" by the Stampeders
  8. "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" by The Kinks 

4 comments:

  1. ahhhh! your hair looks so fierce i love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks fantastic! It's a great, like, fuck you to anyone who tries to govern your appearance, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your hair makes a feminist statement as well as looking super cool! It feels like there aren't enough feminists in the world. If it weren't for the internet, I'd think my friend and I were the only ones. Rock that hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sam! I love what you've done with your hair and what you are doing with your blog. I decided to follow you. I grew up in the 60s and my blog is a celebration of the music and memories of my youth. If you are tuned in to all things 60s, I invite you to come over and have a look around. If you decide you'd like to follow my blog I promise I will always make you feel welcome and write personalized replies to all your comments. I think you'll have fun there, be entertained and possibly learn something new. I know I can learn a lot from your fine blog as well. I'd love to have you as a follower and a friend, Sam. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete