Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want

  Today I just happen to be in the most calm mood I've been in for a while. I've noticed that these sudden flashes of good moods come during warm days, and since it is still winter here in dreadful Massachusetts, I have been in a horrible mood the entire time. I feel best during autumn and spring, when it isn't too warm, but the sun is shining bright and the air smells fresh. Today, even though the remainders of this winter's latest storm still lie in big, white piles on the ground, they have begun to melt, leaving ugly patches of dead yellow grass beneath them. But, nonetheless, this means that they are melting, and that the air is becoming warmer. My birthday is the first of May, which means spring as well as then are right around the corner.
  I cannot wait until both school and the sun are out, which for some reason, always happens to lift my mood. Another thing that has been lifting my mood lately are cheesy 80's tracks that seem to belong in a John Hughes movie. (My favorites of his happen to be National Lampoon's Vacation, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, and Home Alone. But, there are a few other movies I love as well with calming soundtracks. One of my favorites of all time would have to be Harold and Maude, which I reviewed here. It is one of the few films not entirely filled with cheesy lines and cliché romances. Although the story of Harold and Maude's love is odd, the film is brilliant, nonetheless, and I highly recommend it.
  Another favorite is Carrie, originally a Stephen King novel, which I reviewed here. Carrie is a social outcast who has the secret power of telekinesis, which means she can make things happen by just using brain power. She gets asked to the prom by a popular boy named Tommy, (who strangely enough, I always thought looked like Roger Daltrey in the movie "Tommy") and from there, hell breaks loose. Although I recommend the novel more than the film, the film provided some wonderful visuals to help accompany the already brilliant imagery Stephen King created.
  Enough about the 1970's, however! I made this post to focus o the 1980's and 90's, two of my personal least favorite decades. Although I don't like a majority of their music and fashion, there were some high points, like I said, The Smiths. I also like The Cure, Queen, The Traveling Wilburys, and The Dream Academy.

SamanthaWarhol's Top 80's & 90's Films:
  1. "Heathers" (1990)
  2. "American Beauty" (1999) 
  3. "Girl, Interrupted" (1999)
  4. "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983)
  5. "But I'm a Cheerleader" (1999)
  6. "Welcome to the Dollhouse" (1995)
  7. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986)
  8. "Sixteen Candles" (1984)
  9. "Sleepaway Camp" (1983)
  10. "The Wall" (1982)
The famous museum scene from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," where The Dream Academy's instrumental cover of The Smith's "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" is playing

Carrie and Tommy at the prom. (Source)
(Source)
Read RookieMag's interview with Morrissey of The Smiths here!
  1. "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" by The Smiths
  2. "Life in a Northern Town" by The Dream Academy
  3. "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed
  4. "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" by Cat Stevens (which is on like every playlist of mine but its from Harold and Maude so shh)
  5. "Boys Don't Cry" by The Cure
  6. "Monday, Monday" by The Mamas & The Papas
  7. "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by The Smiths
  8. "Friday, I'm in Love" by The Cure

No comments:

Post a Comment