Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm Not Like Everybody Else.

  When we're younger, we all want to fit in. We all want to have the coolest clothes, the newest games, the best of everything. It's just a natural instinct that comes as being part of the modern human race. As a human, I've always felt like I wanted to fit in, too. But lately, more specifically over the past year, fitting in hasn't been my highest priority. I've started wearing whatever clothes I want, listening to the music I like, and decorating my room according to my likes, not just the likes of whatever is popular.
   Up until this point, not fitting in has been fine. I've been off in my own little world, it seems,
and everything's been fine. But once school started a few months back, I noticed a few things. If you do something different, no matter what it is, you are going to be judged. The second you step out of the so called 'status quo,' you are ashamed that you did because everyone will critique you.
  I started noticing this around my first week of school when I was wearing a thrifted skirt from the 1970's and white ankle boots that didn't exactly reflect modern times, either. I received dirty looks, snares, snickers, and I could even hear some critiquing comments made about my clothing choice. As I was hearing and seeing these things, I realized, why are these people doing it? Should I talk badly about their clothing choices, since that's what they're doing to me?
  All these girls my age are wearing practically the same thing: Uggs, yoga or sweatpants, low-cut tank tops or Abercrombie t-shirts, and they all have their perfect little heads of hear straightened. They cake on face makeup and concealer, drawing thick circles around their eyes with dark, black eyeliner, wearing vibrant eye shadow and about six swoops of mascara. I think this is ridiculous to wear so much eye makeup, but then again, I do add wings to my eyes in an Amy Winehouse-esque. But at least I don't look fake. I try every day to incorporate at least one vintage thing in each outfit.
  I've found that no matter what you do, how 'good' or 'bad' it is, no matter what you look like or no matter how you act, people are going to dislike you. That's a rather sad statement, and unfortunately, it's true. Even the celebrities that teenage girls nowadays idolize get criticized for everything. 
  Why do people care so much what other people think of how they look? How does it benefit others if I'm wearing what they want me to wear? I personally believe every girl wearing the same fashion and looking like a bunch of clones is ridiculous. Sorry for yet another rant!

  I decided to make a collage on fashion and other sixties/seventies things I like

Considering most girls nowadays dress like this...

"Wear what you want, and wear it proud. Being fashionably updated's only for the in-crowd."
  1. "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" - The Kinks
  2. "Bell Bottom Blues" - Derek & The Dominos
  3. "Old Brown Shoe" - The Beatles
  4. "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" - Brian Hyland
  5. "Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins
  6. "Outsider" - The Ramones
  7. "Undone - The Sweater Song" - Weezer
  8. "Who Are You" - The Who

1 comment:

  1. i love this collage. i love this playlist. golly, i just love you.

    ReplyDelete